Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Christ's Hands


- BYU Lax lost? Can you send me a picture of their uniforms?

Our work this week was interesting, and a little disappointing...we had a lot of appointments fall through and we weren't able to teach everyone we wanted to! Things have quieted down a little bit in terms of apartments as well because this transfer is a little bit smaller, and we'll actually have to close an area because we're having more leave than are coming in. We've been a bit puzzled because with the announcement last conference, we really haven't seen an increase...until this week. For our transfer day in May, we already have 17 missionaries that are coming in, 15 of those being missionaries from the Provo MTC. We expect that we'll get even more local missionaries for that batch. That means that we'll probably open at least 4 new areas in May. (The chances are pretty good that I could be one of those....). Also in less than three weeks the new senior couple comes, and when they do, things are really going to get busy as we help get them up to speed. 

My companion and I are doing good. He's nice and we get along. On this mission I've learned that I can get along with really anyone if I want to!  Elder P. is a college basketball fan I think...I went into his office the other day and asked what was going on (I was referring to office work and things that needed to get done), and then he just started talking about March Madness and showed me the polls! Pretty funny! When he realized I was talking about missionary stuff I think he felt a little goofy! He is great!

Time is going by incredibly fast. After this transfer which is about helf way over, I'll have one more in the office and one out in the field. I'm really, really excited to get to go out into the field for my last transfer. The last six months is really your time to shine as a missionary. You're trained, you know the language, and you should be the best missionary you've been your whole mission. It's at that time you're the most effective instrument in the hands of the Lord you've been your whole mission. I have learned so much being here in the mission office, but I can't wait to be out in the 'field' as a full time teacher!

Mom, it sounds like March is Atonement month in the curriculum you are teaching to the YW in church. I wish I could be in Young Mens this month to hear these lessons! One of the most well known symbols of the Atonement are the wounds in Christs' hands, feet, and side. I've always found it interesting that he's chosen to retain these despite having a perfect and glorified body. He showed them to his disciples, to the Nephites in the Americas, and I'm sure others as well. He asked them to feel the wounds. In the scriptures it talks about Christ stretching forth his arm of mercy, and encompassing us in the "arms of his love'. I  have always loved that imagery. After Christ has spiritually begotten us, and protects us as a parent would a child. He protects us, while he himself takes the blows. If we will cling to him, we will find peace, security, and protection. When people experience trials they usually do one of two things, they either draw nearer to God or move farther from him. They either reach for his arm or ignore it. Whenever we reach for his outstretched hands, we are in reality reaching for his Atonement. As hands clasps, the first thing we will feel are the wounds in his hands. Christ wants us to "remember", and as a result follow him. I heard a line from "Rise Up O Men of God" this week that I really liked. "Rise up, O men of God! Tread where his feet have trod."  As we follow Christ and tread where his feet have trod, we will come to know him better, and come to understand him and who he is. 

A few General Conferences ago President Uchtdorf told a story of a German town that had a statue of the Savior. During the war, the statue had been damaged, and Christ's hands had been destroyed. The people weren't sure whether to repair the statue, or to leave it as a constant reminder of the devastation of war. They decided to leave the statue as it was, without hands. They however added the inscription, "You are my hands". I hope as we strive to be more like him, as we ponder and contemplate his Atoning sacrifice, we will come to better understand the price he paid, and the nature of his love for us. And as we do, may we remember his hands, and his feet, and his side, as we do his work, and become his hands.

Love,
Elder Yost

No comments:

Post a Comment