Monday, May 21, 2012

Riding the Rails!!!


Dear Mom and Dad
- I have still not received the package with the shoes...
-I got a Dear Elder from Sarah Signore and a letter from Alissa Wheatley, thank you thank you!
-Shout out to Tori Leonard, get better and keep on fighting! Know so many love you, are thinking about you, and pray for you every day!

Well, the last week was certainly not boring! Today I'm emailing you probably close to where Survivor Philippines is going to be!!  Ok, that's probably a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm not 30 minutes from the mall anymore :-(   I'm emailing you today from Lopez, Quezon. Don't confuse Quezon with Quezon City, I'm in the province which is pretty far out there! We hopped on a bus from the Mission Home and got here 6 hours later! My new companion, would you believe it, is another American! And he's from New Hampshire! Probably the only two East Coast kids in the whole mission became companions. Elder D.Y.  (my companion) was the missionary I replaced in my first area, Pola, when I came into the mission! He's got 6 months left here. We're getting along really well.

 I've also been called to be a Zone Leader here. It's a little scary but I'm excited for the opportunity. There are 14 missionaries in our zone, 12 Elders and only 2 sisters. Our house here is not bad at all. We live on the second floor above a maternity clinic, which is good because there are gates and all that so we're pretty safe. It's pretty much two apartments on the top floor, we have one and two other Elders live in the other. One of them is a Filipino and the other is an Australian of Tongan descent. Our town is not too small, but we just have a 7/11!! We're about 4 hours away from the nearest mall...but monthly I'll get to go to the mission home with all the other Zone Leaders for a meeting so I can pick up anything up there. Also our area is so far away from the Mission Home so we won’t get packages and letters as often but I hope people will still write to me! This area is a lot poorer than Cuenca, and reminds me of Pola a bit. There are train tracks here that the Japanese built here in WWII that people use here for transportation! They make these rail cars that are basically wooden platforms with benches that can ride on the tracks. There are ones that operate like a bicycle and others that have a small engine. A lot of the people we teach live along  these tracks! It's like riding a mini roller coaster! 

Right now we're covering a ward and a branch! For the first time in my mission I get to go to church in a real church building. We go to Sacrament with the ward at 9:00, after that we set up our investigator class, then we do sacrament with the branch. We had six investigators come to church, and three others that had to go to Laguna to get paperwork signed for their wedding! It's an 18 year old girl whose is going to deliver her baby in the next few weeks, her 19 year old soon to be husband, and his 9 year old brother who lives with them. I haven't met them yet, but I hear they're awesome.Their wedding is scheduled for this Friday, but that's still up in the air based on paperwork.

To answer your question Dad, travel to the Mission Home on transfer day was the most stressful part of the day. What should have been an hour and a half of travel turned into three because of traffic and we were really late to the meeting and missed the transfer part! Luckily President P. understood that sometimes things happen just out of our control so he was completely fine.

A new area and assignment brings all sorts of challenges, struggles, questions, great things, and worries. This week I was thinking about why bad things happen, or why we have struggles. Why is life so hard? I thought of one of my favorite passages of scripture from the Doctrine of Covenants in Section 122. In Liberty Jail, the Prophet Joseph Smith and his companions there were exposed to some of the worst conditions imaginable. The ceiling was too low for them to stand on their feet, there was a window with no glass, so cold air from what had been the coldest winter in history  would come into the room. In all that, the Prophet received some of the most beautiful passages of scriptures ever. This is what the Lord had to say to him about his experience:
6 If thou art accused with all manner of false accusations; if thine enemies fall upon thee; if they tear thee from the society of thy father and mother and brethren and sisters; and if with a drawn sword thine enemies tear thee from the bosom of thy wife, and of thine offspring, and thine elder son, although but six years of age, shall cling to thy garments, and shall say, My father, my father, why can’t you stay with us? O, my father, what are the men going to do with you? and if then he shall be thrust from thee by the sword, and thou be dragged to prison, and thine enemies prowl around thee like wolves for the blood of the lamb;
 7 And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.
 8 The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?

Let's ask ourselves that question, Are we greater than He? I know that we are all called to pass through this earth life and our experiences are for our good and benefit. Sometimes we think the very jaws of hell are gaping open to devour us. Yet, it's all for our good. Nothing will prevail over us if we remember that everything that happens to us is for our experience and learning. Next time you think you've had a bad day, think of this, think of the Prophet Joseph Smith in Liberty Jail, and most importantly, think of the Savior in the Garden of Gethsemane and on the cross on Calvary. That should help us realize how good things actualy are!

Love,
Elder Yost

No comments:

Post a Comment