Saturday, August 27, 2011

It's Really Starting to Wind Down!

Sorry I'm writing a little later today! I was waiting until I got my travel plans to email. A few quick items:

-I'll be sending some stuff home this week
-I love the Ecco's!!!!!
I need more of that good contact solution. I have about a third of a bottle left.
-Thanks for the box I got today! Could you send a laminated copy of Jeffrey R. Holland's talk Safety for the Soul?
-I wrote a letter for you today answering a ton of questions and I'm sending it tomorrow
-Can you please get Coleman Scholz's address at BYU?

I was shocked to hear about the Earthquake! Wow! And to think a hurricane is coming is even crazier! Could this be a sign of the wickedness of Washington D.C.??!! Joke lang. Anyways it's been a good week! It's really starting to wind down. Next week will not be a normal week. We got to host new missionaries this week which was a ton of fun. We also get to do it again next week. The first missionary I got to host was Elder Jeremiah Burr who was on my hall at BYU! It was so much fun to see him. I was really impressed with the parents of the missionaries I hosted, especially the mothers. With the exception of one mother who ran through all the MTC volunteers, sprinting to her son who had supposedly forgotten his immunization records, they were very good! It was cool to see these families sending off their sons and daughters with a smile on their face. What a hard thing it is! In the Book of Mormon, Laman and Lemuel complain about what a "hard thing" their father had commanded them to do, by leaving behind all they had. I love Nephi's response that Lehi had not commanded it, but rather God. I know that all missionaries are not only called by a Prophet, but also by the Lord himself.

We've had some interesting conversations in my district about families. There have been a lot of instances back at home. One missionary's father cut one of his fingers off with a saw, another's cousin was pouring gas into a lawnmower and something caught fire and burned his face, another missionary's family car broke down and they had to take all the money out of his savings to pay for the repair. Also, Elder Tamale's father is in the hospital, and is not doing well. I think there are quite a few Elders wondering, "What's going on?" A mission is a constant trial of your faith, truly a refiners fire. I believe we get the most out of our trials when we are at the edge of our limits. I know that true blessings come from serving a mission. I've already felt them, and I know that they will continue to come. I can still hear Elder Holland saying, "Everything good that has happened to me I owe to my mission!"

Real quick, my travel plans. I leave SLC at 8:15 PM on September 5th and fly to LAX landing at 9:22 PM. I fly from LAX at 1:55 AM to Taipe, Taiwan arriving there at 6:10 AM on September 7th. I leave Taiwan at 9:30 AM and land in Manila at 11:40 AM. That'll be such a long trip! I'm so excited though. As lame as this sounds, I can't wiat to get in a car and just be on 1-15!! Who would have ever guessed. Elder Tenny is on my flight to LA and then he goes to Hong Kong, and is scheduled to land in Manila 25 minutes before me.

Last Sunday I was asked to speak in Sacrament meeting. I spoke in Tagalog! Pretty awesome! I may have sounded kind of stiff, but it was good. I spoke about Repentance. All three missionary talks were in Tagalog, the first time since I've been here. There was a new district that had come in and their eyes were pretty big! Our Branch President got up and said, "New Elders and Sisters, 6weeks ago these Elders were sitting where you are, not knowing any Tagalog. And know look at them...Wala! Everyone just busted up laughing because our Branch President didn't know that "wala" means nothing or without in Tagalog!

I know this Church is true. I know that Jesus Christ himself guides and directs this work. I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to be apart of it. Think about the grand plan, and tell me, how is this message not applicable and important to literally everyone on this Earth? I have the opportunity to help bring others to Christ and by so doing help them enjoy the Gospel and the same blessings I've enjoyed. Never shy away from sharing the Gospel. The stakes are too high and too important for each individual soul to do so. I love you so much! Thanks for all your love and support!!!

Love,
Elder Yost

No comments:

Post a Comment